Wednesday, October 27, 2010

entry 8

 I had mixed feelings about the poem “mother to son” by Langston hughes. I made a lot of connections while reading the poem independently. But, I found myself rating it at an 8.5 .

Then, hearing my classmates answer the questions being asked by ms. Manners I found that poems should be interpreted differently by every person.Listening to my peers helped me finish up my thoughts on the metaphors and how I interpreted them but didn't necessarily change my mind.Before having the class discussion we has group discussions. I felt my group wasn't giving me enough info on their feeling towards the poem, So, I choose to elaborate more on my annotations. I think this helped me to prepare for the discussion and have a strong base on where I stand in the writing piece. Reading the poem 3 times got me comfortable with it and I was able to see some of Hughes's writing in a different way.

Somethings that were talked about in the discussion I hadn't related to the same way others did. But, hearing my classmates I was quickly able to form and opinion. I think I was only to do this not only form my experience in poetry but because, staying involved and participating can help in situation you aren't prepared for. I felt learning while conversing was an easy way to get the hang of annotating on poems and relating to metaphors by interpreting them in your own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment